To identify pain points in the YouTube app in terms of sharing videos and the functionality of the 5 different pages currently offered (Home, Trending, Subscriptions, Inbox and Library).
When people share videos on YouTube, they want to do so without leaving the app and taking up space in other messaging platforms; but they can't because you can only share video links.
User Interview Script
1. What grade are you?
2. What apps do you use to watch videos? (Can be any app) Why?
3. Can you explain what you mean by “user friendly”?
4. Walk me through how you use the apps listed above
5. What’s your favorite feature? Why?
1. In what settings do you use YouTube?
2. When was the last time you used YouTube?
3. What videos do you watch on YouTube?
4. Can you recall a negative experience of using the YouTube app? Why was it bad?
5. What parts of the YouTube app do you use?
6. Anything you don’t like about either of those pages?
7. Can you walk me through your experience?
8. If you were to send videos to your friends how would you go about it?
9. What is your favorite way to get sent a video?
10. Do you use YouTube to learn? Why?
11. What different types of things do you learn?
Focus Group with Diary Studies + Card Sorting
Users will document their thoughts as they go through an experience on YouTube. They will focus on when and how they use (or not use) each of the five pages and how they share videos with friends. Then, participants will reconvene in a focus group to discuss and compare notes. Even though this method runs the risk of a "group-think" mentality, it will be a method of defining major pain points and gaining insight into how to improve. To sort out “unmet needs” researchers can analyze each user’s diary and the outcome of card sorting. Card sorting will help me understand how each user thinks the YouTube app should be structured for a better experience.
Mental Model Mapping
This step would be done after researching. It helps uncover trends in how users interact with each of the tabs in the YouTube app and how videos are shared. By extracting their motivations, it's easier to ideate features that address users’ needs.
Market Research: Current Solutions
Current solution spaces: Sharing content on Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat
Analysis: Current solutions allow people to send videos without taking up space used to text in Instagram DMs. People can also share videos by tagging friends in the comments which is even more convenient.
Instagram and Snapchat allow users to share a video in one click